All too often we hear stories in the news that inaccurately identify the heating system as the source of carbon monoxide poisoning and fail to mention anything about the chimney. The chimney is solely responsible for venting the heating system and if it is in disrepair, will allow carbon monoxide to back up into the home.
1. Clean and inspect your chimney annually
2. Make certain your carbon monoxide detector is working properly. Replace batteries every year and carbon monoxide detector every 5 years.
3. Be aware of common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning such as headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest paid, and confusion